CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 23, 2008

This negativity scares me

One of the biggest sources of unhappiness for me right now is my job. I am feeling very suffocated. As a working mother providing a second income to my family, it was fine. I've never been happy with my work schedule, but I was able to balance it with our life and do what I needed to do. I'm sure that had I stayed married, there would have eventually come a point in time where I outgrew the job , but in the last year my discontent with it has crashed down on me like a tidal wave. It's hard to get out of bed and face the same thing over and over each day.


I work in retail, selling cameras. Photography has always been one of my greatest passions, but the joy I used to find in it seems to be slipping through my fingers daily. I find it difficult to focus on the products and when people want to ask questions, I find myself annoyed. I've even had customers comment on that fact. It makes me very unhappy, because I know that is not the true essence of my personality.

There is no possibility of advancement or change in my position. This is it. Day in, and day out. My company does not give regular raises. My commissions are diminishing at an astounding rate. I don't make enough money to support myself without help, and I am living with my parents while I pay off debt and try to get myself into a stable position. My schedule is such that I am unable to do many of the things I would like to do in my time off. If you have to work a dead end job, it would at least be nice if you could spend your free time in the manner you would choose.

I'm searching for a job, but even though I know I am a very capable employee, I have very little work experience. The resumes I have submitted have not received a single response. My fondest wish is that I could go back to school, but I don't see at this point how that would be possible. It's a very frustrating position to be in, and I just don't quite know what steps I should take to make the situation better.

2 comments:

Amy *aka willa* said...

What about your photography biz? It makes me sad that you're losing your passion fo it because of your job. Passion is all ya got in this world, and your photography so amazing!!

Fer said...

My photography business was largely made up of event photography for the local mt. biking scene, and since the divorce I have fallen out of that scene. I just haven't had much drive to pursue any other avenues with it right now. I'm beginning to think it is something that will be a hobby for me, but not much else. It's hard to say. Maybe someday that drive will come back, but definitely not while I continue working where I am working.